About my Blog

But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain

Monday, April 13, 2009

Psalm Meals

As some of you know, thanks to my sweet friend Diann, I began a new Bible Study today called A Woman of Moderation by Dee Brestin. I am so excited about this study!! Mainly because of the subtitle…

“Breaking the Chains of Poor Eating Habits”

This has been an “issue” of mine for several years. Oh, snap! Let’s be real. This has been an issue of mine for my entire adult life! And, as I said in this post last week, I have gained a new resolve in the matter. I am DETERMINED to see these “chains” broken. Once. And. For. All.

Can’t you just hear Mary Mary (or Mandisa) now?

“Take the shackles off my feet so I can dance… I just wanna praise you, I just wanna praise you!! You broke the chains now I can lift my hands… I just wanna praise you… just wanna PRAISE YOU!!”

(Oh, sorry. I guess I got caught up in the moment… Back to the Bible Study and topic at hand.) ;-)

According to the back of the book, these are the goals of this study:

  • Learn how to enjoy food as God intended
  • Learn scriptural truths for approaching food in a healthy way
  • Learn how God can satisfy your soul’s hunger

In addition to following the Setting The Captives Free program (oh yeah, I am ALL OVER that title!) we are encouraged to partake of “Psalm Meals” throughout the day, specifically, at meal times.

“Make no mistake---the Enemy does not want you to be set free from slavery to food. He delights in keeping you in chains. Your two greatest weapons against him are Scripture and prayer---so why not combine them?”

The lesson goes on to quote Dietrich Bonhoeffer: “The young man who took a courageous stand against Hitler and was martyred for his faith, wrote in his book Psalms: The Prayer Book of the Bible:

It is a dangerous error, surely very widespread among Christians, to think that the heart can pray by itself…. Prayer does not mean simply to pour out one’s heart. It means rather to find the way to God and to speak with him, whether the heart is full or empty… If we wish to pray with confidence and gladness, then the Words of Holy Scripture will have to be the solid basis of our prayer.”

Wow. I’ve never thought about it like that before!

My morning Psalm Meal blessed me beyond measure as I prayed it out loud, and I thought I would share it with you:

Psalm 16 A Psalm of David

Keep me safe, O God,

for I have come to you for refuge.

I said to the Lord, “You are my Master!
Every good thing I have comes from you.”

The godly people in the land
are my true heroes!

I take pleasure in them!

Troubles multiply for those who chase after other gods.
I will not take part in their sacrifices of blood
or even speak the names of their gods.

Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
You guard all that is mine.

The land you have given me is a pleasant land.
What a wonderful inheritance!

I will bless the Lord who guides me;
even at night my heart instructs me.
I know the Lord is always with me.
I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.

No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice.
My body rests in safety.
For you will not leave my soul among the dead
or allow your holy one to rot in the grave.

You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of your presence
and the pleasures of living with you forever.

I know I said this last week, but, at the risk of sounding repetitive, I want to praise God for always providing EXACTLY what I need, EXACTLY when I need it.

I also thought you might be interested to know that I have chosen verses 7-8 (highlighted in pink, above) as my new memory verse(s) for this challenge.

Why?

Because I am DETERMINED to do this. I will NOT BE SHAKEN, for HE IS RIGHT BESIDE ME!!

What foe do you need to defeat in Jesus? What chains can He break for you???

1 comments:

tammi said...

You know, I've always known my focus was wrong. I've always known I needed to lean on God rather than Weight Watchers or any other diet program. I love that this is a Bible study, not a diet!!

My goals are first, to draw closer to God; second, to become closer to my wonderful friends through studying together and encouraging one another; and third, to re-train myself with regards to WHEN I need to eat and HOW MUCH. The weight loss will simply be an added benefit!