About my Blog

But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Shrinking Update

As I am away from my scales this week (visting family for Spring Break) I have not yet had a "proper" weigh in. (Mom has a scale, but it's on the fritz... Darn.) ;-)

I can report, though, that Days 2 and 3 in my A Woman of Moderation study have been rather successful. Yesterday was a liquids day, and I made sure I stayed hydrated with lots of juice and water. (I also drank lots of Dunkin' Donuts coffee). :-)

For supper last night, I had a Greek Grilled Chicken salad (w/ lite dressing) from a local pizza parlor, and one small brownie for dessert. YAY! I did it!

After supper, only water... oh, and coffee, again.

Today has been a "normal day" in which I have tried to watch portion sizes. I had some Nabisco Newton Crisps (100 calorie) and a glass of 1% milk for breakfast. After visiting the zoo, we met my sister for lunch at her favorite barbecue restaurant, but I managed to behave. I had grilled chicken with veggies for sides, and ate only until I was full. I plan on a "light" supper (turkey sandwich and fruit).

Here's the good news... I went shopping this afternoon, and tried on some clothes from Cold Water Creek. My "normal size" has been rather snug on me lately, and I was really nervous about having to go a size up to get a nice fit. I was wrong!! I selected several outfits and hesitantly made my way to the dressing room. To my surprise they fit PERFECTLY! Yay!! So although, I have not been able to weigh, I can tell in my face and my midsection that I'm at least losing a little water weight. That's always a good thing!

This study is once again rocking my world. Our memory verse this week has been a great help in resisting the temptation to overeat, and snack on sweets.
"Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed are those who take refuge in him. Fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing". (Psalm 34:8-9)
I am learning what it means to "take refuge" in Christ and seek him for my emotional needs, instead of running to food to complete me. Once again the Psalm Meals are really helpful. This one in particular spoke to me today.
"Let me hear in the morning of your steadfast love, for in you I trust.
Make me know the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.
Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord! I have fled to you for refuge!
Teach me to do your will, for you are my God!
Let your Spirit lead me on level ground!"
(Psalm 143:9-10)

The key, for me, is learning the difference between PHYSICAL hunger and SOUL (emotional) hunger. Yesterday's study was huge in that it brought me to this realization:

The Lord will satisfy our deepest desires. We need to listen to his spirit and let Him show us what we're really hungering after. If it is food, our stomachs will rumble and He will provide---we don't need to panic, eat fast, or graze. We are hungry for Him. We need to be still before him and allow Him to feed us from His Word.

Now.

All I have to do is learn to practice Psalm 81:10...

Open my mouth WIDE and let Him fill it!

2 comments:

tammi said...

I opened my mouth too wide tonight ~ and did NOT fill it with the Word of God. Yuck. I feel absolutely disgusting.

And the part that kills me most is that my friend and I talked just this afternoon, specifically about less really being more in terms of how we felt about ourselves when we didn't eat as much as we'd like to!!!!!

I knew these days where supper is the only real meal would be hard exactly for this reason, but I REALLY blew it today. I guess because hubby is gone tonight. Somehow, it's always worse then. It's not that I'm comforting myself in his absence ~ I think it's seriously more that no one's around to keep me accountable and question whether or not I really need a snack.

Dang it. I feel so gross.

TammieFay said...

Hey girl!
Rejoicing with you on the dressing room surprise!!! So blessed to see what God is teaching you...love your teachable spirit. Sorry about not getting with you yesterday...killer day, but I did lose 1.6 pounds this week...slow but sure! I continue to pray for you sweet friend!