About my Blog

But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Weigh-In Wednesday

Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans
Well, ladies (and whatever gentlemen might be out there reading this!), I really am finally shrinking.

I'm down a whopping 4.8 lbs from last week!

The good news is, I've lost a total of 7.6 lbs since starting this Bible study a week an a half ago.

The BAD news, however, is that since I ate WAY too much over Easter weekend, I've only just this week been able to get rid of that excess and move beyond it. So for the purposes of this current Sisterhood challenge, I'm only down 3.4 lbs.

Wow, how annoying is THAT?!!

This is exactly the kind of see-saw pattern that gets so many of us discouraged, frustrated, and ultimately, usually gets us to quit trying. Which is exactly why something like this Bible study is needed ~ for us to see that the root of our problems lies in our nonchalance about sin.

This week's memory verse is Genesis 4:7:
If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.
(And yes, I typed that for memory, folks!)

This is SO true for me. If I give in once ~ no matter how I might rationalize or justify it ~ it weakens my resolve and I'm that much more likely to allow it to happen again. Failure is just waiting to pounce, to tear me apart, to tell me I shouldn't have bothered trying because I'll never succeed anyway.

BUT... conversely, the more tiny little victories I have ~ the more times I succeed in walking away from the snack cupboard, or turning down second helpings at mealtimes, or reaching for an orange instead of a bag of chips ~ the better the chances I am to have more. Because I'm slowly but surely stomping out failure. I'm stomping out the devil's flickering flames of lies and deception and relying more on God's power and promises.

And the victories are growing. Success really does breed success!


Raise The Roof 1

10 comments:

Susanne said...

Woot! Woot!! That is awesome!!! Go ahead on girlfriend... set off those fireworks!!

Mommy Mo said...

WAHOO! With resolve and determination and discipline, you can do this. Rock on. Lisa

Fergie said...

This is Excellent! Thanks for sharing the memory verse... Congrats on the loss!

*Lissa* said...

Wow!! Great job! Don't fret about Easter, just focus on the now!

Jen's Farmily said...

Great job!!

You're right, weightloss is full of ups and downs. Darn downs!

Brooke said...

Thank God for the small victories He gives us - it really does give us the edge to keep going

Jessi said...

You are doing SO awesome, girl! I'm so glad to hear that your Bible Study is benefitting/encouraging you SO much.

april said...

Wow!! Great job this week!! Keep it up, friend! :o)

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Thanks for your comment on my weigh-in post. I looked up this study and put it on my wish list at paperbackswap.com! God's blessings on your journey!

AnnG said...

Way to go on the loss!! It's a great feeling to know it's finally sinking in and the weight is coming off, huh?? Keep up the good work and congrats on winning the weekly "sisterhood" contest!