About my Blog

But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain

Monday, August 10, 2009

What kind of woman are you?

A strong woman works out every day to keep her body in shape.
A woman of strength kneels in prayer to keep her soul in shape.

A strong woman isn't afraid of anything.
A woman of strength shows courage in the midst of fear.

A strong woman won't let anyone get the best of her.
A woman of strength gives her best to everyone.

A strong woman makes mistakes and avoids the same in the future.
A woman of strength realizes life's mistakes can also be God's blessings and capitalizes on them.

A strong woman walks surefootedly.
A woman of strength knows God will catch her when she falls.

A strong woman wears the look of confidence on her face.
A woman of strength wears grace.

A strong woman has faith that she is strong enough for the journey.
A woman of strength has faith that it is in the journey that she will become strong.

- author unknown
(found on The Simple Life at Home ages ago!)


Hmmmm, I wonder what woman I am? Sometimes, I think, neither.

I'm a very weak woman when it comes to self-discipline. I'll do well for a while, but slipping back into the old habits is so much easier than developing PERMANENT self-control!

Paul tells us in the Bible that God says to us, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Cor. 12:9) This verse always sounds to me like I'm helping God practise His power by being a weak, undisciplined person! I know that's not necessary. God's power has been perfect from the beginning of time!! So what does this mean for me this week, exactly?

I know I'm forgiven when I give in to temptation and have a second piece of dessert or helping of mashed potatoes, but this week I want to concentrate on how God's perfect power can be demonstrated through my lifestyle and decisions. Through my developing ability to restrain myself and a desire to be active.

And to talk to God about it. I'm guilty of believing God doesn't care about my weight, that there are so many more important issues for Him to concern Himself with. And in reality, there are. But there is no such thing as a trivial prayer. This week, I will concentrate on praying for myself and developing my strength in Him.

What's your goal for this week?

2 comments:

Brooke said...

my Bible study group is ending the "woman of prayer" study this week - an hour long prayer devoted to bringing you closer to God.

Mesha said...

I needed this post! Thank you! The one thing that clicked with me a few years back after quoting this verse numerous times was the first half. "My grace is sufficient for you..." God's grace is what gets us THROUGH situations, not watches us fail them. It's not an excuse to stumble, its a way to keep you from stumbling if that makes sense. It was like one day that hit me and I was like LIGHTBULB! I've been making an excuse (using scripture) for my own shortcomings and failures when all the while God's been trying to tell me that NO! My grace makes you victorious, not defeated. :)

I just love that I have met you through the blog world! You ALWAYS encourage me, never fails. I'm totally blessed by what you write and it often convicts my heart - in much needed areas might I add.

A strong woman works out every day to keep her body in shape.
A woman of strength kneels in prayer to keep her soul in shape.

Since I'm on a trend of honesty lately - this has been my defeat! I've become so "occupied" and "busy" with this weight loss that hitting my knees for spiritual fitness seems like thing of the distant past. *sigh* I'm weaker now that I'm losing weight than I was prior in some ways. I totally know and acknowledge that God has been showing me SO MUCH - I try to give Him glory in all of it...@ the same token, I've had this "get fat off the revelation" attitude without much of a heart of thanksgiving. Without that deep, intimate time alone with him. Ay - this really should be an email...let me see if I can send an email instead. welp, don't see u'r email anywhere. :(

THANK YOU!!!